Demand Justice seeks a Research Manager to oversee all research needs. The person in this role will spearhead the production of long-term, in-depth research projects, create and maintain comprehensive databases about judicial confirmations, and work on rapid-response and fact-checking materials. This person plays a critical role in making Demand Justice a go-to source for accurate and comprehensive data about the federal courts.
The person in this position will report to the Communications Director.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage long and short term research and rapid response projects to advance Demand Justice's mission for a judiciary that delivers equal justice for all.
- Generate ideas for, create, and maintain novel data sets about judicial vacancies and nominations for Demand Justice project Balls & Strikes, a first-of-its-kind progressive blog on the federal judiciary
- Work with the Communications Director to identify opportunities for news story placement based on original research.
- Contribute to digital strategies to enhance the public's awareness about the record of judicial nominees.
- Draft and/or fact-check public education materials, such as fact sheets, social media content, press releases, and messaging guidance.
- Produce extensive research reports compiling information from public sources, including news clips, videos of speeches and panels, social media, personal financial disclosures, property, court, and business records, research databases, and campaign contributions.
- Advise on script development for our television and digital advertising, and draft the backup material to defend those ads' accuracy.
- Coordinate with allied organizations to ensure our research work is comprehensive and efficient.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Significant research experience for a political campaign, advocacy organization or in a similar environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with sharp political instincts.
- Strong editing skills, focusing on accuracy, grammar, formatting, and ability to identify risks and vulnerabilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- The ability to manage large research projects and keep public-facing resources up to date independently.
- Familiarity with Lexis-Nexis, public records requests, analyzing primary source documents, and commonly-used research databases
- Passion for Demand Justice's mission and interest in learning more about the federal court system and court reform efforts.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 as well as a generous benefits package, including medical, vision and dental insurance provided by the employer and matching 401K.
A fair judiciary is essential to protect everything from voting rights to gun violence prevention to access to abortion, so Demand Justice's work intersect with many of the most urgent issues facing our communities today. At Demand Justice, it is important to build a team of diverse individuals committed to making our courts work for all communities, and we encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and people with disabilities to apply.